Canada releases voluntary generative AI Code
This week, the Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry, announced Canada's Voluntary Code of Conduct on the Responsible Development and Management of Advanced Generative AI Systems.
The Code identifies measures for all firms that are developing or managing the operations of a generative AI system with general-purpose capabilities. There are also additional measures that should be taken by firms developing or managing the operations of these systems that are made widely available for use.
While voluntary, it takes effect immediately, and is intended to be a bridge until the government’s proposed legislation on AI (part of Bill C-27) is adopted.
The Code outlines measures that are aligned with six core principles:
- Accountability: Organizations will implement a clear risk management framework proportionate to the scale and impact of their activities.
- Safety: Organizations will perform impact assessments and take steps to mitigate risks to safety, including addressing malicious or inappropriate uses.
- Fairness and equity: Organizations will assess and test systems for biases throughout the lifecycle.
- Transparency: Organizations will publish information on systems and ensure that AI systems and AI-generated content can be identified.
- Human oversight and monitoring: Organizations will ensure that systems are monitored and that incidents are reported and acted on.
- Validity and robustness: Organizations will conduct testing to ensure that systems operate effectively.
The CMA is actively engaged in the development of practical standards to shape a coherent and stable regulatory environment in Canada, including developing thought leadership on the subject through our AI Working Group, and participating in industry-wide discussions.
Marketers are encouraged to register for our virtual Building Trust as Technology Transforms event on October 12 to hear more about ethical considerations when leveraging AI to support data-driven marketing.