- How to express your strategic key message and boil it down to a headline, a hashtag and a one-sentence blurb in a range of different media.
- How to use tools such as rhythm and parallelism to make your prose more conversational and memorable.
- How to tell a story about your organization and the people it touches with authenticity and purpose.
- How to integrate your brand’s voice, tone and key vocabulary into your marketing.
- How to shape your copywriting for flow, brevity and impact.
- How to persuade your readers to take action based on the viewpoint you express.
- The ability to take your copywriting art to a higher level, so you can produce bolder marketing that drives your message home with more flair, conviction and humanity.
- The purpose is to shake up your copywriting and invite you to explore and experiment to find new techniques to broaden your art.
- The ability to make your copywriting more adaptable to different voices, different brands, different platforms and different audiences.
You Will Benefit From
- Any writer who is responsible for producing marketing materials and wants to enhance the range, depth and engagement of their copywriting to increase impact.
- Any writer who wants more control of their craft so they can better tailor their writing to an ever wider range of platforms and ways of engaging an audience
- Any writer who has completed the Communications Writing seminar and is looking for more advanced techniques and exercises.
Joel began his career as a business journalist, before becoming an advertising copywriter and creative director in blue-chip agencies for clients like GM, IBM, Nestle and Bell. He continues to work as a strategist and writer in work with agencies and directly with clients. His strength is the ability to define a strategic direction that can be distilled into a core message that will drive an organization’s success.
Along the way, Joel has developed his own writing toolbox filled with insights and techniques that lead the way to powerful and memorable marketing and communications writing. He has made it his personal mission to share his toolbox through his work in Professional Development as a curriculum creator and facilitator through his company, Writeup.
Joel believes in the power of the written word to transform careers and organizations. He has taken his mission into workshops for organizations such as the Canadian Marketing Association, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, the Conference Board of Canada, the Canadian Institute, Canadian Tire Financial Services, the YMCA – and in high schools where he’s helped hundreds of students find their written voice.